Tuesday, February 3, 2015

How I succeeded to fail at drawing.

After watching the short video about the comedian who was basically told to reevaluate his life because comedy wasn't for him, I realized that there were a few times that I've had my "magical black man" tell me not to continue on also. The first I can easily remember was when I was in high school. Going in freshman year, I really wanted to learn how to draw well. I figured if I took a drawing class once a semester for 8 semesters, by the end of senior year ill practically be an artist! By the end of my sophomore year, I started to realize that drawing just wasn't for me. My drawing teacher knew my work wasn't improving, but realized I was putting in the effort. After trying to help me over and over for the first 2 years in art, she decided to redirect me in the art world instead of just directly telling me "you suck at drawing". I had a passion for colors and others' artwork, but mine just never came out looking how I liked. She told me to try a more hands on approach and try ceramics; and the next year I did. Ceramics allowed free my mind of all the objects I wanted to create by allowing me to physically form them with clay, as drawing wasn't my strong point. I still thanked my drawing teacher even a year after not seeing her, for being my "magical black man" (I didn't exactly say that word for word) and giving me her honest opinion and realizing that it wasn't working out in the drawing world. Instead of giving up complete hope, she redirected me to something that was still in the art field which I soon learned I really enjoyed. Overall, I accepted the fact I stink at drawing, but managed to pick up a new talent of pottery and sculpting on the way.

2 comments:

  1. I am reminded of this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZHdSoBXkNk

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this one. Sorry. It was just the pottery reference was too precious not to invoke these clips. Enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L0xl7s4wAg

    ReplyDelete