Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Service project

There is no organization for the mission I volunteered for. I volunteered for my neighbor on March 2nd. This experience took place at my neighbors house from 10am-3:30pm. No one else was with my, besides my elderly neighbor with dementia (aka, the man I was watching over). His wife and daughter were not around, as his wife had to go bury her son.  I watched over the elderly man in his bed, and attended to all his needs and ensured that he was safe and sound in his hospital bed, not to move. I had to keep him occupied, which is kind of hard due to the fact that he doesn't remember anything and had no interest of staying focused on any subjects. I fed him when he was hungry, gave him water, and had to give him his pills when he was getting frustrated and angry. There was a lot of communication, but a lot of it was the same due to the fact he really didn't remember me, I had to constantly explain that I have been his neighbor for over a decade, and that I was here to watch him. I tried to keep a very soothing tone, due to the fact that he would get aggressive easily if he felt frightened. I was able to watch him fully with little or no argument while the mans wife was able to bury their son. He enjoyed seeing me in the beginning (or so it seemed) and wished for me to come by often, but when his 81 year old wife came home, he accused me boyfriend for talking to her without him and told me to never come back. His wife really thanked me, since she has no one else to watch him and trusted me over a babysitting company (since they tend to snoop around and could possibly take stuff). It was a little different to the baby sitting I was used to,  you have to really watch what you say to the man due to his forgetfulness and his ability to rage very quickly; but I did enjoy it. I would do it again, just not for such a long time as he started to become suspicious of where his wife was (we decided not to tell him where she went so he wouldn't get sad).

No comments:

Post a Comment